segunda-feira, 28 de novembro de 2011

Another day in paradise

Germany, Munich. June, 30, 2010. 08:57 PM. Wednesday.

That kind of show is really perfect, nobody should deny it. Chopin was without a doubt a great genius, even today, a hundred and sixty years after his death, there’s nobody similar to him. This idea alone is amazing by itself, but going to a presentation in a crowded theater, having the opportunity to sit on the best seat is even better. Considering that this is the first time that Philip went to a live concert that remembered all the best songs from Chopin after sixty eight years of life is something indescribable. Maybe this is the reason why he is walking on the street so slow, staring at the sky, trying to remember everything that happened this night, every note, and every song. This is something easy for him that knows the complete list of songs from his six cds and over eighty genial songs.

Dr. Philip Halo is not a simple man; he is an erudite who lives alone in a beautiful house in Munich, Germany. After the death of his parents when he was already thirty two, first his mother in an expedition in Africa at the age of fifty six, and after his father by the age of seventy at home, both from a heart attack, he decided that he could really live alone. Not because he was a misanthropic man, but simply because he couldn’t understand the women’s minds and their necessity to be always carried about their image, even those he met in the Philosophy course at Harvard. They are all the same, he used to think.

And about his friends? No way. They are all married, planning their trips at the end of the year to some part of Europe, probably Paris in France, the most ridiculous place to go, but because everybody talks about there they follow the flow of the waters, the run of the mob. However, Phil is different, and he knows that, not because he is better, but simply because he is better this way. And after all, he is now really happy, because he accomplished one more priceless dream that few people can comprehend. And he now has himself and his memories to share this moment alone. Maybe not so alone as he thinks.

-          Hey Sir! Can you help-me a moment? Can I ask you a question?

He doesn’t ask too much from life, and privacy to enjoy a great moment is one of those things. Something which that stupid girl across the street seems compelled not to allow. So he pretends not to listen to her voice. Notwithstanding, she is persistent and by the corner of his look he can observe she is coming to his direction. No way to escape. He will use one rational option for a smart guy like him, go right to the point, avoid any emotion to guide his options and most important, don’t stop walking.
  
-          Hey Sir! I’m sorry for bothering you. I just want to ask you a question!

-          I have no money girl. And I have no time. Get away.

-          I don’t want money and I will not abuse from your time. I just need to know if there’s a place where I can sleep tonight. I have no money and I need a place to stay.

-          I can’t help. Get away.

-          No. You can. I can see you are smart and have money. So please, help me. I can give you something in return!?

Now Philip got offended. His intellectuality is adverting him the fact that he is probably dealing with a depraved woman and that she is possibly like a lot of the women that prefer to use their beauty and their body to win what they want instead of their intelligence. He will teach her some principles. He stops walking.

-          Hey girl! Listen! I don’t want to have sex with you. First because I’m not your type. I’m sixty eight and you are probably twenty something, not more than twenty five. However, this is not the main problem, I’m a Christian guy and I don’t want a depraved woman living around the quarter where I live. Please, go away and let me go my way. And if you don’t do that, I will call the police. Probably you know about the rules in this country, they are very different from America, where everything is permitted.

-          Thank you very much for your sermon “Mr. I’m pure and arrogant”. I don’t want to have sex with you. I’m sorry if you have a polluted mind. I just said that I could pay for your help with a good story. Like Scheherazade. I could tell you how the chess was invented for example. But thank you very much for your help. By the way, my name is Opal Novia and not “girl”. Have a good night.

-          What?! You want to pay me with a story? Are you crazy? What kind of girl who lives on the street for who knows what reason tells stories about mysteries of the invention of chess?

-          Well, I am. And that is not all. If you have a piano in your house I could also play piano for you. Do you like Chopin?

-          Now you are crazy. And it seems that you are following me because I am coming from the theater where I was appreciating a Chopin’s concert.

-          No. I was not following you. I really play Chopin. In fact this is my favorite musician.

-          You don’t look the kind of girl who appreciates stories and plays piano because you are so …

-          Don’t let your eyes dupe you. There is more between the sky and earth that is beyond our philosophy unknown. There is more hidden in the complexity of the simplicity than you could imagine our see above the top of your arrogant intellectuality.

-          Ha-ha. Interesting phrases. Where did you copy them from?  

-          I don’t remember. Some I read somewhere. Some I just invented.

Now Philip was catch by his own arrogance. He let the girl invade his heart. He doesn’t know exactly what he is doing but he feels that the girl in front of his eyes doesn’t represent a risk.

-          Ok. I will help you but just this night. Tomorrow I don’t want to see you anymore. And I want you to find a job and do legal things to live your life. That is my proposal. Do you accept it?

-          Well … Let me think … Hum … Yes!!!! I accept it. Even if you haven’t told me to find a legal job that is exactly what I’m trying to do all this time. My only problem is finding a place to live tonight.

The only thing Philip can’t understand is where she comes from. And he really doesn’t want to know because this is only her problem. All he wants is to see if she really knows what she said she knows.

- So, let’s move. We’re close to my house. Just two blocks away. In five minutes alone I usually can get there.

They spent all the way to Philip’s house talking about what each other liked in life. When they got there Philip prepared a good meal with a good wine to help her feel comfortable to all the challenges she would have to face that night. After dinner they continued their conversation.

-          So … This is your home?! Nice.

-          Yes. This is a beautiful house. And here we are to see if you really know that entire thing you said you know. I am really curious and now that you ate and drank I want to see over where you will start, by the story, by the song. In fact, I’ve played chess for almost all my life and I can’t even remember when I started playing and I’ve never heard anything about how it started.

-          Then let’s start by the story … It all happened …

After ten minutes of a very detailed story Philip was enchanted by the curiosity of what she was saying and he almost couldn’t believe that she really knew that interesting narrative.

-          Incredible! This is a very good tale. However, you forgot to tell me when it happened.

-          Well … Unfortunately Malba Tahan doesn’t tell this in his book. But probably it happened a long time ago.

-          In fact in doesn’t matter. The narrative by itself is sufficient. But who is Malba Tahan? An Indian our a Chinese person?

-          No. In fact he is a Brazilian writer; his real name is Julio Cesar de Melo e Souza.

-          You are undoubtedly a strange person who lives on the street, knows interesting stories about people in India but whose the writer is Brazilian and also says that knows how to play Chopin in the piano. The last in fact I still have doubts that you can really do. And talking about that, there is the piano. It’s all yours. Let’s see if you are so genial with an actually difficult challenge. Because that beautiful story you told, anybody could tell, but play piano is just for illuminated minds.

-          I know not just to play piano but I also play Funeral March from Chopin and I will prove you that right now … Excuse me.

-          My guest.

Opal then went towards the piano in front of them, walking with her dirty clothes she is a paradox in the world of Philip. Nevertheless, she is calm, doesn’t seem to care about that kind of details like she was not part of this world. Philip was enchanted for that moment on. He couldn’t believe that this kind of thing was happening. He was not acting at his normal way. Notwithstanding, he could feel that he could trust the girl. After all, a robber or a prostitute wouldn’t be interested in stories and piano. In fact, that girl resembled somebody he met in his youth. Somebody he couldn’t remember the name. The only thing he could remember was that the girl was similar to Opal and that he once loved that girl. Unfortunately she had to move to United States to study piano with a German teacher that was living there and Philip nevermore saw her. When Opal sat to play the piano she positioned her body like a professional pianist; her fingers touched the keys softly and suddenly unbelievable sounds emerge from the piano. Better than the sounds he listened that night in the theater, Philip Halo was like he was in paradise, he felt his body as he was floating in space and the image of that girl in the piano was something he would never forget …

*****************************************************************************************

Germany, Berlin. July, 1st, 2010. 07:14 AM. Thursday.

Two friends are sitting together in a snack bar talking during the first hours of the morning before going to their jobs, their names are Christin Version and Nola Arsondown. They are talking about the news they are reading. These two women are friends since they were kids and they know each other’s lives. Some of the information on the newspaper are good while others are bad and it depends on the person or group that is reading. While for some people what they would find could pass unnoticed, for them this is a moment for reflection and for remembering the past.

-          Hey Christin! Did you see who died yesterday?

-          No Nola. Who was that?

-          Do you remember that guy that we met a long time ago in high school? His name was Philip Halo.

-          Yes. Of course I remember him. I was in love with him. However, I had to move to New Orleans in USA and never met him again. How did it happen?

-          Here they say he had a heart attack that was fatal during a piano concert presentation in Munich.

-          Oh my God. That is so sad. He always loved classical music. And he always encouraged me to learn and go ahead with piano classes. I always knew he loved me but I had to choose between my talent or a love that I never knew whether was true our just a dream. And there in EUA I married and stayed there for almost ten years. I never met Philip anymore …  

*****************************************************************************************

Philip Halo died at the age of sixty eight. He went to the theater at 08:30 PM on June 30. Even though he always loved classical music he had never been to a live concert. That should be the first time in his life that he would enjoy a live concert, and that night would be more special because they would play the songs from his preferred musician, which is Frédéric Chopin.

Unfortunately the destiny didn’t have the same plan for his life. Two years ago Philip had a heart attack but survived. However, the last night it was fatal. He almost didn’t feel anything, it was sudden, like a bless. He hasn’t seen anything from the presentation because to reach his seat he had to climb some stairs that were in a special place he chose specially for that night. Those entire things combined with the emotion of the night were enough to bring his final breath. He had just sat when they announced the beginning of the show when unexpected his heart failed at 08:57 PM.

Nevertheless this was not a sad end. He had one of the best nights in all his life. He didn’t feel any pain from death. All he had was a happy illusion inward his mind, bringing him good moments that maybe he had never had in all his history. He had in fact everything he always loved in that single moment. In his mind he could feel the impact of a concert he hasn’t seen in fact. He had a good company, something he always avoided, because he only believed in love once in life, and he once and for all loved Christin, even he couldn’t remember her name anymore after such a long time. Christin in his dream called Opal, and told him great stories about curious things he always enjoyed. And to finalize his passage by this world she sent him to haven playing a beautiful Funeral March from Chopin. 

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário